Sunday, August 23, 2009

Cheap long distance, USA and Canada

I just switched my family’s cell phones to AT&T (iPhone 3GS – hurray!). I paid close attention to how many minutes I needed, and made sure I got unlimited texting since I have two teenage kids.

But I forgot to check on long distance rates. Turns out my long distance rates to the US are about 19 cents a minute. I don’t yet know what my long distance rate to Canada is – it wouldn’t surprise me to learn it is twice that.

So I immediately programmed OneSuite into my iPhone. OneSuite offers discount long distance calling, with local access numbers in many places in the US. For instance, calling a long distance number in the US (using a OneSuite local access number) costs 2.5 cents per minute, much much better than the 19 cents AT&T wants to soak me for.

Calls from Canada to the US, using a toll free number, are 3.5 cents per minute.

I have an address book on their website giving me speed dial once I connect to their network.

What’s not to love?

I haven’t used the long distance service included with my home phone for a couple of years, since discovering OneSuite. I recharge my OneSuite account with $20 about every 4 or 5 months.

For all of you who don’t have unlimited long distance included already in a phone plan, check out OneSuite.

To your Prosperity.

Keith O. Hudson

P.S. If you decide to try OneSuite, use my SuiteTreat number, A5AL07084, as your referrer when you sign up, and you’ll get an extra 5% on the initial amount you deposit to your account.

P.P.S. Note that calls from pay phones carry an initial charge of 55 cents, at least here in the States. So, if you’re calling from a payphone and you need to make multiple calls, don’t hang up after completing your first call. After the call is terminated by the other party, wait 5 to 10 seconds and you will hear a prompt asking you what destination number you wish to reach. Now dial your next call.

No comments:

Post a Comment